Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Next Cake Boss

Jake finally finished the 'learning tower' he was building me.
I've always wanted one of these things, but they are entirely too expensive.
http://www.littlepartners.com/products/The-Learning-Tower.html

But Brenden loves baking and helping in the kitchen. Atleast 4 times a week I found him standing on chairs helping me at the counter and I dont know how many times I had to tell him to be careful not to fall. Well that's the point of the learning tower, they cant.

So while I was on Pinterest a few weeks, well months, back I found a DYI tutorial for building one! But even better, it was foldable! And Jake being the 'handyman' he thinks he is, this was the perfect project for him. Especially since he got some new saw (as if he didnt have enough) for Christmas. I'm not sure exactly how much he went by the 14 page tutorial, because he's not one that reads directions to put something together. But they did include all mesurments for the wood you need and pictures to show you exactly what to do. The only negative I think was the 'materials' list missed some things. So we had to make multiple trips to Home Depot. One thing being it didn't mention hindges (but duh, its foldable I should have thought of that) and it says woodglue, but that we didn't use.
Anyways heres the link if your interested:
http://pinterest.com/pin/52424783131836492/


It's been done being built for a few weeks but we had to sand it down and paint it. It took a few coats. But its finally done and we used it tonight! Brenden helped bake cupcakes for our Super Bowl party tomarrow! He loved it. It worked perfectly. It's adjustable so the different spots to adjust the height act as a ladder so he can climb right up in it himself. My only negative is the paint we used, I wish we would have gotten the shinnier paint that wipes off easier. It wasnt horrible but I can tell the more I wipe it down the paint will start to fade. So we're going to buy some sealer to seal the paint. So FYI if you make one, use the wipeable paint.





1 comment:

  1. I've never heard of one of these but love this idea! My 2 year old loves to help bake too!

    ReplyDelete