Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Years :)

Well it's the first day of the New Year. Honnestly I'm not one for making a huge deal out of New Years. Brenden's obviously too young to even realize so he was in bed by 7:00. Thank goodness all the fireworks didn't wake him up. At one point I really thought it would. We did as if it was any other night and then around 11 decided to watch a movie. At exactly midnight we heard a ton of fireworks and Jake looks up at the clock and goes "Oh look its twelve", and that was that. We finished the movie and was in bed by 1:30. But it my surprise that we were even up. I don't think I've stayed up till twelve the last 2 years.
Anyways, it just stunds me the amount of money people spend on New Years. I passed a billboard yesterday for a local bar/restruant advertizing New Years Eve dinner for only $75.00 a person. SEVENTY FIVE DOLLARS for dinner? For one. You have got to be kidding me. I'm sure it included drinks, atleast it better have, but still. That's insane. So atleast we started off the New Year sticking to my resolution by not spending money.

So we got up like it was any other morning and I made a run to Target to pick up some milk and bread, boy was that store empty. It was quite nice. But by now most Targets have their christmas stuff 75% off so if you need anything for next year it's the time to go. Our Target still had quite a bit left and if I hadn't vowed to not buy anymore I could have gotten alot. I did pick up a few rolls of wrapping paper for .75 cents. But I was smart about it and got a roll of Happy Feet 2 wrapping paper that says nothing about Christmas on it so I can use it for birthdays throughout the year too. If you know anyone who's going to have a baby around next christmas there were a ton of onsies, sleepers, and PJ's marked for around $2.00 as well. I picked up 2 tshirts in size 4t for Brenden. There was less to choose from in the bigger sizes.

Speaking of baby, I walked by the Baby section and noticed a ton of the carters (Targets version) and Gerber onsie and sleeper packs were on clearence for about $4-5. Last time they did this I got a few girl items (onsies, sleepers, blankets, towels) in sizes 3 months-12 months. If we have a girl next, then we will use it since obviously everything we have is for a boy. Or if anyone needs a baby shower gift that is having a girl I can just pull from that stash.

I didn't look very closley at the toy section because we DO NOT need any, but I did notice on an end cap that there were a ton on clearence. Mainly the "Time 4 Toyz" brand that Target puts out for Christmas only. It was all atleast 50% off and there was a lot. I got a tub of 46 Marine Animals for $5.00. I did buy that. Brenden has the Wildlife set and loves them. I wish Brendens birthday was closer than October because it would be a great time to stock up for Birthday presents. But since his is so far away who knows what he'll be in to by then. But if you child has a Jan/Feb/March birthdat it would be perfect.

Of course before I left I had to walk by the dollar section and to my surprise it was 70% off. Making everything only $.30!! They had a bunch of disney stuff. One thing being those felt coloring pages with markers in Cars and Disney Princess. I got a few in each. Figured they'd make good things to throw into birthday presents. And also a few books. Pretty good books (Hardback with an actual story) about The Lion King, 101 Dalmations, and The Lady and Tramp. I also got some scrapbooking letter stickers in some pretty cute patterns.
So overall, I walked out of target paying $11.00. I think it was a pretty good start to saving money this year. I got some good deals on what I did buy, but held back from buying what I didn't need just because it was cheap. Maybe your Target could be running the same clearence deals. I'm pretty sure they are mostly national things.

No comments:

Post a Comment